Do you tell your Doctor about your lifestyle?

Ph****

Posted
5 hours ago, worship_you said:

Lol sounds like you just trying throw yourself out there. All you have say is you're sexually active ms 50 shades of grey

Kind of a wild statement on a kink & BDSM forum. There's a huge wild world kink and BDSM that isn't sex. 

Posted

only when relevant

I did have to go for some checks recently - so literally told him that there were concerns about my prostate during pegging - so I should get checked (all was fine) 

Posted
Need to know basis - if I have a medical concern that's arisen from my choice of lifestyle or activity then absolutely yes I'd be open and honest about why I have that concern.
Posted
7 hours ago, kindakute said:

I went to see a dietitian. We talked , I kinda got off the dieting issues. On my second appointment she asked if I'd like to talk more about my personal life. She gave me her personal number and we met and had dinner. She asked this, I asked that. Turned out she wanted to experience spankings but was shy to bring it up in her last relationship . I told her I'm into fetishes and in the same boat. I now see her weekly for our own personal training, learning, experiencing, and feel so comfortable doing it. I've managed to start a good healthy diet as well. She's soooo much fun!

This feels/seems really inappropriate on their part. The crossover between patient/professional to personal is one that is difficult to navigate. 

Posted
7 hours ago, WillTryAnythingtwice said:

If I ever found someone to do bdsm stuff with, I'd be totally open with my doctor. They can't legally say anything to anyone.

This is actually incorrect at least in the UK. Medical professionals (and that covers a wide range of personnel, not just doctors) can report safeguarding concerns WITHOUT consent where they feel there might be further risk to the patient if the reporting were made common knowledge. It would usually pertain to reporting concerns regarding a care giver  and a minor but it doesn’t apply solely to this.

Posted
8 hours ago, Evil01James said:
I can't afford a doctor

?? Even in the States one can be seen without any ***. I’d encourage you to be seen somewhere. If perhaps, you meant you can’t afford private doctors then disregard what I said. 😇

Posted
Therapist and doctor.... Regularly tested always safe but never dull.
Posted
Only if it was relevant to something else, or I have bruises. Otherwise, it isn't their business.
Posted
16 hours ago, gemini_man said:

Need to know basis - if I have a medical concern that's arisen from my choice of lifestyle or activity then absolutely yes I'd be open and honest about why I have that concern.

Lots of people have unrelated health stuff that's going to have then in the Dr's more frequently.  If they have extensive bruising, marks or scars, it's very likely to come up and I would imagine it's probably a better idea to mention it up front. 

Of course this will vary depending on what someone is into and at what level and frequency. 

Posted

I'm a Top so honestly, it doesn't come up much for me. I am not the one ending up covered in strange marks and bruises most of the time. 

If I hurt my hand/wrist punching someone and my doc asks what happened, I'll be honest that I'd hit someone consensually. Hopefully I will continue to not injure myself during impact play. 

I have had needle track marks before due to practicing needle play on myself and at that time I was going in for a very specific *** draw. I was at a Planned Parenthood asking them to screen me for specific ***borne pathogens. More specifically, HIV and Hepatitis. Not because I was at risk at all, I'm not, but because Hepatitis screenings aren't included in routine *** tests unless you have a reason to ask for it.

So, the doc at the clinic asked me why I wanted Hepatitis screened for specifically (along with what the needle track marks were). I explained it to her honestly like:

"I'm planning to do needle play with a new partner. I was practicing my technique on myself. I require all new needle bottoms to get themselves tested for HIV and Hepatitis before I'm willing to Top them. Because I believe in transparency and fairness, I get myself screened for both too so that we can exchange each other's lab results prior to playing. It's one of the safety measures I require."

The doc listened, was fascinated, I showed her a pic of what needle play is, she thought it was surprisingly artistic, and she respected our approach to pre-screening and safety. 

Then she had my *** labs run, I paid the clinic for their work, and I went on my merry fucking way with my digital lab results. 

I'm an adult and I myself work in the medical field. I don't feel a need to lie to medical staff over things that just need a simple explanation. 

Posted
5 hours ago, ThaliaV said:

Lots of people have unrelated health stuff that's going to have then in the Dr's more frequently.  If they have extensive bruising, marks or scars, it's very likely to come up and I would imagine it's probably a better idea to mention it up front. 

Of course this will vary depending on what someone is into and at what level and frequency. 

Exactly!! Need to know basis!!

Posted
Yes when I had my baby ( she was awsome and made us super comfortable about it and very happy to give us directions on what would be okay in our dynamic) and my therapist ( who me and master go to together ) who yet again we are very open about it
Posted
I try to keep marks to a minimum around doctors appointments but I have chronic conditions and sometimes it happens. I like medical staple play and left them in too long once (like slept in it and such) and it left scars in the pattern for a bit over six months. So anytime my legs had to be seen by a medical professional I let them know ahead of time that I had temporary scarring from “consensual kink play”. They never questioned me further at the time. I have forgotten about bruising and explained it with a giggle and “very consensual adult activities” I’ve always lead with consensual and never been questioned further or had a provider act as if I was in danger. Only time I have gotten a further anything is planned parenthood doing there job and letting me know of all resources available in case anything WAS going on I wasn’t ok with.
Posted
Oh definitely, if anything, I'd probably detailed it a bit..had the doctor been an attractive woman. But if it happens to be a male doctor, I'd strongly use the word...Consensual. Yeah.
Posted
I’m nonbinary but to anyone medical I am female lol. That word needs to be very strongly used. Sometimes I have gone as far as to say “enthusiastically consensual”
Posted
Told my doctor everything!!! They need to know everything so that they provide you with the right treatment for whatever you're being seen for. My doc actually asked for more details and I happily gave them. No judgement from her. Honestly, I feel closer to her as I can tell her what's going on with out hesitation and judgement.
MasterDarcy1979
Posted

No. But my Butcher knows.

:p

Kidding. My butcher knows nothing.

Posted
I find that if you aren't transparent with medical staff, they can't provide adequate care for your issues. So I am open woth my doctor. I don't go into extreme detail of what I do but she knows I am in the lifestyle and that I do some rather extreme things.

~Duckie
Posted
An ex of mine just said she was in a boxing club. Hence all the bruisings
Posted
I’ve always told my doctor everything hundred percent trust in him