Is there a difference between a Dom and an Alpha

Posted
7 hours ago, BackRubsNBruises said:

I actually have a BSc hons in marine zoology and zoology

Oh, fantastic! I've 25 years working in *** behavior and related fields & @CopperKnobalso well versed. 😁

Posted
12 hours ago, BackRubsNBruises said:

I actually have a BSc hons in marine zoology and zoology

Amazing. I love we have an actual zoologist in the group :)

myself, I work in tech - and yeah, Alpha means something entirely different in tech.  I actually am currently doing alpha work this week, so looking at builds in early development that are buggy and shouldn't be let loose on the general public. 

Posted
Yesterday at 05:16 PM, eyemblacksheep said:

Amazing. I love we have an actual zoologist in the group

myself, I work in tech - and yeah, Alpha means something entirely different in tech.  I actually am currently doing alpha work this week, so looking at builds in early development that are buggy and shouldn't be let loose on the general public. 

Assuming that the term "alpha" means different things on different fields of study/industry, with people it might mean "natural leaders".

Of course, how one defines "natural leaders", particularly self-identified leaders, is another question.

Posted
8 hours ago, dominionhub said:

Assuming that the term "alpha" means different things on different fields of study/industry, with people it might mean "natural leaders".

Of course, how one defines "natural leaders", particularly self-identified leaders, is another question.

I think this is another kinda issue

so as cited the initial study was flawed because it was only done on wolves in captivity where there was no prior relationships - and of course as humans we will have lots of different social groups.   Someone who is a perceived good leader in one group/scenario might struggle in another.  Equally, if you look at something like football, things like the captain aren't necessarily the strongest, fastest, 'best' players - even if they can inspire those who are and encourage those who are lacking.  

And, yep, of course there are a lot of people in self-appointed leadership positions or where it's not much merit.  Equally, we've probably all been in a work place scenario where we've had a team leader or manager who we've felt shouldn't be there.

And of course "Alpha" is a self-appointed term.  Granted, mind, most terms in kink are - none are protected.  People ultimately should choose the titles they're most comfortable with, but in some cases be prepared to back that up with their behaviours.