Checklist for Riggers and Bottoms/Models in Shibari/Rope

Ma****

Posted
As I was collating this checklist for myself I thought why not share and get input from others at the same time.
So to be clear. Rope bondage is edge play. As a risk profile it’s right there near the top of the risky play list. As such you need to make sure you are doing your due diligence. Whether you are someone who ties (rope top/rigger) or someone who is tied (rope bottom/model)

So this is a work in progress and do feel free to add further. It is by no means exhaustive and it’s intended to be a checklist for things to ask before tying or when finding someone to tie with. (In no particular order)

Shibari is about connection between two or more people with rope as the medium so it’s important to be comfortable and connect with those you plan to tie with.
Clear consent as it does involve physical contact and at very close quarters.

Is there anywhere on the body you do not wish to have rope marks (these are imprints made from the rope as opposed to any other types of mark)?

Are there any medical conditions you have e.g, allergies, fainting or fits and how to deal with them should they happen?

How are you feeling about being tied or tying. (Before every session you tie even with regular partners)?

Have you been tied before?

Have you tied before?

Who have you tied? Can you speak with them if they consent to being contacted?

Who have you been tied by? Can you speak with them if they consent to be contacted?

How long have you been tying?
How many years?
How many hours per month/week?

Who have you learnt from?

When you come to tie - Are you under the influence of alcohol or ***? (never tie if this is yes)

Anywhere you do not want to be touched?

Are you with anyone who you would like to involve in tying? Either as a watcher or a participant?

Is there anywhere not to tie on the body? Which parts of the body are you happy to have tied?

Do you prefer floorwork?
Do you prefer partial suspension?
Do you prefer suspension?

What is you experience of the above as both a rigger and a bottom?

Do you have any flexibility and/or mobility issues? Anything either of you cannot do?
Any physicial issues or limitations?

Why do you want to be tied, what do you want from the experience?
What feelings do you want to experience?

When you have tied. What has gone wrong and how did you deal with it?

What form does your aftercare take? Some like to be cuddled. Some like to be left alone. Some need water.

What is your safe word or method of communicating your comfort levels within rope?
Posted
Have you eaten today?
Are you hydrated?
Do you need to use the bathroom prior to the tie?
Do you have a rope preference, etc. posh,hemp?
I know you asked about allergies, more specific , do you have allergy to the rope?
Where has this rope been?
Coconut rope, prefer it to be new or only used with that specific bottom? !

Most important question….do you consent to having the rope cut if a situation arises? (This applies to top and bottom)
Posted
4 hours ago, Viv1027 said:
Have you eaten today?
Are you hydrated?
Do you need to use the bathroom prior to the tie?
Do you have a rope preference, etc. posh,hemp?
I know you asked about allergies, more specific , do you have allergy to the rope?
Where has this rope been?
Coconut rope, prefer it to be new or only used with that specific bottom? !

Most important question….do you consent to having the rope cut if a situation arises? (This applies to top and bottom)

Very good point on preference etc. I personally do not use the same rope for different partners

Posted
Also, @magic_thumb I recommend in investing in what would be called a “skinning knife”. a very safe option for rapid removal if an even arises as the entire exterior is a guard and the blade inside hooks and cuts the rope when pulled towards you. A good addition to the kit for any rigger and a tool for response not for play.
Posted
1 hour ago, Remy83 said:
Also, @magic_thumb I recommend in investing in what would be called a “skinning knife”. a very safe option for rapid removal if an even arises as the entire exterior is a guard and the blade inside hooks and cuts the rope when pulled towards you. A good addition to the kit for any rigger and a tool for response not for play.

I use EMT safety shears.

Posted
Another valid option.
Posted

Seat belt cutters are good for this too, and gut hooks. Some come with sheaths you can put on your belt so you'll always know it's within reach.

Posted

Have you warmed up/stretched before this tie? (I'd recommend it!)

If you don't have contact details, I'd suggest swapping them so you can check in the next day as well.

Posted
Safety shears, seat belt cutter, making sure the rope is conditioned properly, and I've found always having a safety buddy is best practice. This way, should something happen and I need out immediately, there is a second pair of hands to either hold/ catch me, call for emergency help, or get me out of the ropes faster and assist with immediate aftercare.